World Day of Kindness.......
Let me start by saying, not everyone deserves kindness. I have a co-worker, who believes you should be kind to everyone. Well, I believe, some people deserve the little bag I keep beside my asshole cats litter box, the little bag that houses the dirty, sifted litter, but that’s a story for another day...... today is World Kindness Day, and here’s my little story about this
 Each Friday, there’s a man that comes in the store, he’s been coming in for about a year. He at first appeared to be a little grumpy. Didn’t smile, never spoke. At first, I thought maybe he didn’t like his job, or, maybe he was just an unhappy person. I let it go for a while, but did notice him week after week. Then, I got an idea.....one of those brainwaves I get from time to time..... I was making it my personal mission...... to make him smile!!! How hard could it be? My father always said I was the biggest pain in the ass he’d ever come across, but I could make him laugh. So, I really thought this would be a piece of cake. The next Friday, he came in, and I pointedly spoke to him.... with my sweetest smile, I said “ Good Morning”, I got a grunt in reply, a literal grunt, for a response. Anyone that knows me well, can well imagine what my thought process to that was.... its a good thing there wasn’t one of those word bubbles over my head, cause there were a few blue words. I can usually be charming enough to get a smile or a return good morning ....... he was a tough nut. This went on for quite a while. Friday after Friday, nothing. I was about to give up. Figured, he was just miserable, and happy to be that way. When Mark got sick, I missed a couple of weeks of work. When I went back to work, I had completely forgotten about my mission. My mind was elsewhere, it certainly wasn’t on making anyone smile. I had actually lost mine for a bit. Friday rolled around, I wasn’t paying much attention, when all of a sudden, there he was, in front of me. He didn’t usually come over by deli, not his usual route in the store, but there he was. He looked at me and in a grumpy voice said
 “ Hey little one, where ya been..... thought maybe ya got fired”
I was a bit surprised, here he was , talking.... I’d only heard him grunt.... I responded with
“ My husband was sick” he responded with half a smile, and said “ I hope he gets better soon”
My answer was very simple, with eyes full of tears, I simply said “ he died” .... this big gruff man, who I’ve never heard speak, never saw smile, touched my arm, and answered with all the kindness and warmth I’d heard anyone speak with “ awe, Honey, I’m so sorry”..... he not only touched my arm, but in that very moment touched my heart.... since then, every Friday, when he enters the store, he looks for me and we have banter.... he’s funny!! And sarcastic, and witty. Last Friday was the best yet.... we talked about the weather, I told him to get ready, I was going to whine for the next 6 months, he said he was putting in for another route, he had no time and no patience to listen to someone whine.... I laughed, on his way out the door a few minutes later, he looked over his shoulder and with a half assed grin, and with a question in his voice said
”See ya next week Sweetheart?” I of course smiled and said “ absolutely “
 Do I think we should make it our goal to make everyone smile? Should we be kind to everyone? I don’t know.... such a good question. I don’t think we should go out of our way to be mean to people, I don’t think we need to make it our personal mission to make everyone smile. But, I guess, if we have it in our power to make one person a day smile, then maybe we should.... but some people are just mean, just impossible.... I’m sure I’m not alone, when I say, that some people are impossible to please and nothing you do or say will help....those are the people I’d like to give little gift bags of sifted sand to. Some people cant be pleased. We can make it our mission until we die.... and they will never be happy. Then there are those that a simple hello, or smile, makes their day.
Unlike my co-worker, I don’t think everyone deserves kindness, but I cant help but think what a wonderful world this would be if everyone made it their mission to be kind to everyone.
I don’t know what it was about this man that made me decide to make him smile. I’m just glad there was something, I’ve made a friend for life, or, until he tires of hearing me whine about winter.

Comments

  1. Brigid you always made me smile when I seen you. I remember when your Mom babysat us and I'd come over. You would always make me smile. Lots of lovey friend. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Firsts